Friday, July 1, 2016

July Announcements

       A happy July 1st to everyone. You are all probably busy gearing up for the Independence Day weekend, and have a ton of stuff going on. I know we do. With garden season in full swing, helping out with hay, work, writing, and all the other random projects we seem to get sucked into. In between all that I've been working furiously on getting things together to be able to attend Honesdale's Sidewalk Sales event. Things are finally coming together. Lord willing, I'll be there! I'd love for you to come out and see me. I'm excited and nervous about it. I've never done any type of event like this before, and it's feeling really scary and overwhelming. But hopefully it will be a good step outside my comfort zone!
       The Sidewalk Sales take place on Main Street, Honesdale, July 22nd and 23rd. That weekend I'm also planning to announce what my next big project is, and when you can expect to see it in print! I'm ridiculously excited about this one. Abby, my partner from Unseen Things, has done some promo artwork for it, which I'll be proudly displaying at my table. So come on out!
       One of the extras I've been working on for this event was a short write-up on why I chose "Crazy Cabin Books" as the name for my publishing imprint. In case you ever wondered, here it is.


       Why Crazy Cabin Books as a publishing imprint?

       A big share of my “growing up” happened in Alaska, with a gang of girls that are very dear to my heart. Throughout my teen years my family would drive up there every other summer—a tradition that lasted until I had the money to fly up on my own. We had a family we were friends with there that would let us park our camper in their yard, and their cabin out back became the central crazy house for all of us girls. Three sisters from their family were part of the group, myself, and a mutual friend of ours who traveled up from Texas. There we spent long glorious nights talking, dancing, laughing, writing ridiculous stories that each person would start, then pass around the room, taking turns adding on to. We would dream, and plan, and hone our views on life and faith, and inevitably tease each other about boys.

       Those times are still etched indelibly into my identity, and I’m so thankful. So in honor of those girls and those good times, and that cabin bursting with laughter and dreams, I’ve chosen “Crazy Cabin” as the imprint that all my books will bear, since it’s already imprinted on my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment