Saturday, September 17, 2016

Touring Some Memories

     I'm seriously looking forward to the day when life slows down enough to get back into writing! Summer is winding down, but chaos remains. Leftover canning supplies, and a garden that still needs attention, plus my very neglected housework and a hundred other things, all keep conspiring to remind me that my to-do list is growing rather than shrinking. I've managed to steal a few minutes here and there to work on my Red, but have come to the point where it needs some more serious attention, sitting down and putting thought into it, and that just hasn't been doable. I'm so sad.
     In spite of my chagrin at life's messiness, this week had one huge blessing. My friend Abby, fellow writing conspirator and co-creator of Unseen Things, was in the area briefly, and we got to catch up over lunch, and then do some local sightseeing. It was doubly awesome to get to see a good friend and share some deep conversations that got us both thinking. I've always loved the verse in Proverbs (not sure on the reference) that says "Iron sharpeneth iron, so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friends." Sorry if I missed any words - typing from memory. LOL. I know I've said it before, whether or not it was in this blog, that God has really blessed me with my friends. The ones I've had for what seems like forever, and then some newer ones. Some have stuck around, and some have faded, hopefully temporarily, into the background of my life. But they've been friends who've kept me sharp! I don't know who I'd be today without all of them.
     Speaking of friends though, our little tour around the Honesdale area the other day brought back some crazy memories of other good times with good friends. Back in the days when I had a Jeep Wrangler, and us girls would go driving around with the top off. There was a memorable "bachelorette party" before one friend's wedding that involved off-roading through the fields and taking scandalous photos. Then there was the time Tiff and went camping for a week straight, and freaked ourselves out hearing noises outside the tent. We came out in the morning to discover ourselves surrounded by turkey tracks. It became known as the infamous "saber toothed turkey" incident. Then going back even farther, when I used to carry a Wayne County road map in the car, and would drive around back roads until I got lost, then use the map to figure out where I was. Little did I know the unknown locations I was driving through at the time would be near where I'm living now that I'm all married and boring.
     But seriously, those were some great times, and I had a great group of friends to share them with. This week has sort of been a blast from the past. Bittersweet now, because those times are sinking further into the past, and most of those friends I don't get to see much of. But it was refreshing to get to remember some of them. To be that kid again.
     What are some of your great memories with friends? I love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment