Saturday, June 18, 2016

10 Books That Have Changed My Life

     I'm working on coming up with a manifesto for my blog and writing, and part of that is inexorably bound to include some thoughts on reading. I've mentioned before that books have shaped the way I think, and not only the way I think, but the way I am. My worldview. My life. It's something I feel so strongly about! But not only because I'm passionate about reading. It's not just me who's been shaped by the things I've read. History itself is a slave to its authors, its readers, and its lack thereof.
      I could totally jump into a huge dissertation on why reading, writing, and creating are so important, but those of you who are readers already know it, and those who aren't probably aren't reading this anyway. So for today I'll keep the topic bite sized. But think about this: if you want to know about a person, look at their bookshelf. It will tell you more than their words.
     There are SO many books I feel indebted to that picking only ten seems almost laughable. I've tried to pick the first ones that come to mind, of ones that have changed my outlook, made me think, made me ask questions, or truly stirred my soul. This list isn't in any particular order, and its woefully incomplete. But here goes.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien.
     You had to know it'd be in here! Probably the most influential series as far as turning me toward writing. Deciding what I wanted to write was a non point, thanks to these.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.
     Again, a no brainer for any self respecting fantasy author. But they're much more than that. I've learned so much from these books. I still re-read them to this day, and I can say they were the very first fantasy books I fell in love with as a kid. These and LOTR pretty much carry between them the blame for my career choice.

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis.
     It make me think about my actions and motives, even my subconscious. It's a scary journey in terms of self discovery.

Freckles by Gene Stratton Porter.
     This book is truly beautiful.

Tales of the Kingdom (and it's sequels) by David and Karen Mains
     These books are a wonder to me. They are all a series of short stories about a group of characters that all tie in together in one way or another, and each illustrates some point of the Christian life. But lest that sounds really preachy and blah--Nothing could be further from the truth. These are the essence of simple but powerful. Truly well written adventures in a way I can only aspire to.

Legends of Muirwood (Trilogy, beginning with The Wretched of Muirwood) by Jeff Wheeler
     I read these knowing pretty much nothing about them, and wondered if they were written by a Christian. Turns out the author is Mormon. But that aside, they pack an emotional punch and so much wisdom. They spoke to me when I was in a really dark place, about the power of changing our thoughts.

This Present Darkness By Frank Peretti.
     Pretty much anything by Mr. Peretti, but this was the first I ever read of his. Master storyteller!

Dragons in our Midst (Series) by Bryan Davis.
     I have such a soft spot for these.

The Martyr's Song by Ted Dekker.
     Actually, it's also a series, and all of them turned me into an emotional wreck. This was the shortest and simplest one (each of them can be read as a stand-alone, though there are subtle connections).

The Last Sin Eater By Francine Rivers
     Another one I always go back to.

     So tell me, what are some of your favorite books, and how have they changed your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment